MUST HAVE 15 GMAT full-length tests with video explanations, rigorous analytics, 200+ conceptual videos, and a set of 12 sentence correction e-books. $50!Know More
Dedicated Thread for the Experts' Students - Experts' Global
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Dedicated Thread for the Experts' Students Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Query Center for the Experts' Guidance Program Students

Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into the eggs of various host insects in exactly the right numbers for any suitable size of host egg. If they laid too many eggs in a host egg, the developing wasp larvae would compete with each other to the death for nutrients and space. If too few eggs were laid, portions of the host egg would decay, killing the wasp larvae.

Which of the following conclusions can properly be drawn from the information above?

(A) The size of the smallest host egg that a wasp could theoretically parasitize can be determined from the wasp's egg-laying behavior.
    (B) Host insects lack any effective defenses against the form of predation practiced by parasitic wasps.
    (C) Parasitic wasps learn from experience how many eggs to lay into the eggs of different host species.
    (D) Failure to lay enough eggs would lead to the death of the developing wasp larvae more quickly than would laying too many eggs.
    (E) Parasitic wasps use visual clues to calculate the size of a host egg.

Answer is A. Could you please explain how that conclusion can be drawn as that is not mentioned anywhere in the passage? Thank you

The idea is that wasp (parasyte) lays eggs in the right number on the host eggs. Hence, if the wasp's egg laying behavior is known, the smallest (or even the largest) size of the host egg can be determined. To get to this reasoning is a bit difficult and one needs to go by the process of elimination. The other four choices involve serious assumptions/extrapolations
    MBA Admissions Consulting: Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our Student!

GMAT Preparation: The Most 'Complete' Program Ever

GMAT Classroom Program: Maxximus Teaches in Noida!

Comment

Q. Two couples and one single person are seated at random in a row of five chairs . What is the probability that neither of the couples sit together in adjacent chairs?

Solution:

Total cases = 5! = 120

Unfavorable Case:
      When the first couple sits together (now we have four elements- three individuals and a pair) = 4!x2! (as the couple can also be shuffled in 2! ways) = 48.
      When the second couple sits together: 4!x2! = 48
      Now, the cases when both couples sit together have been counted twice. Hence, they must be subtracted.
      When both couples sit together (two couple and one individual; thus, three elements) = 3!x2!x2! = 24
      Hence, total unfavorable cases = 48+48-24 = 72.
      Probability of this = 72/120 = 3/5

Probability of unfavorable cases = 3/5.

Hence, the probability of favorable cases = 2/5

Comment

Student's Doubt:

I see the answer choice for this question as 5, but i feel the answer choice is 1 because in 5 there is no reference for its (i.e parallel processor) but in 1, there is a reference. Please correct me if I am wrong

The capacity to follow instructions of a parallel processor is not limited by the speed at which its components can operate but by its ability to integrate the work of each component.

1) The capacity to follow instructions of a parallel processor is not limited by
        2)The capacity to follow instructions in a parallel processor is not limited to
        3)The capacity to follow instructions in a parallel processor are not limited to
        4)A parallel processor's capacity to follow instructions are not limited by
        5)A parallel processor's capacity to follow instructions is not limited by

Solution:
        Learning:Possessive pronouns can refer to possessive nouns.

Thus, its can refer to processor's. Processor's capacity...not by...its components...but by...its ability is more parallel.

Hence, option 5 is a better choice...

Comment

Student's Doubt:

For the below question, answer is given as E. I eliminated Answer E for the reason that "Amount of grain farmers rather than no of Grain farmers. " My thought is how can amount can be used for no of farmers.Could you Please advise.

When Congress reconvenes, some newly elected members from rural states will try and establish tighter
          restrictions for the amount of grain farmers are to be allowed to grow and to encourage more aggressive
          sales of United States farm products overseas.

A) and establish tighter restrictions for the amount
          of grain farmers are to be allowed to grow and
          to encourage

B) and establish-tighter restrictions on the amount
          of grain able to be grown by farmers and
          encouraging

(C) establishing tighter restrictions for the amount
          of grain farmers are allowed to grow and to
          encourage

(D) to establish tighter restrictions on the amount of
          grain capable of being grown by farmers and
          encouraging

(E) to establish tighter restrictions on the amount
          of grain farmers will be allowed to grow and to
          encourage

Solution:

Your understanding of the sentence is probably incorrect. The right meaning is that the restriction is on "the amount of grains that the farmers can grow". Hence, the restriction is on the quantity of grains and not the number of farmers.

"Try and do something" is incorrect on the GMAT. Hence, A and B can eliminated,
          Restrictions on something is the right usage. Hence, C can be eliminated.
          "Capable of being grown" is wordy. Hence, D can be eliminated.
          E, therefore, is the best choice.

Comment

Student's Doubt:

Wrong: James Joyce is Max's SUPPOSEDLY lrish ancestor.
            Right: James Joyce is Max's SUPPOSED lrish ancestor.

Supposed is an adjective and can modify a noun (or noun phrase).
            Supposedly is an adverb and can modify an adjective or adverb but not a noun/noun phrase. (Generally, adding 'ly' to adjectives leads to adverbs)

"Irish ancestor" is a noun phrase and thus, an adjective is needed.
            Thus, 'Supposed' is the correct usage here.

Comment

Doubt
              There seems to be a conflict....
              "so x as to be y" is idiomatic but on this question OG says it isnt?

And also kindly tell me if there are any situations it doesnt work..if so how to resolve them...

Solution
              "So x as to y" and "so cause that effect" are the two right usages.

Doubt

OG 13 Q39)
              Although schistosomiasis is not often fatal, it is so debilitating that it has become an economic drain on many developing countries.
              A. it is so debilitating that it has become an economic
              B. it is of such debilitation ,it has become an economical
              C. so debilitating is it as to become an economic
              D. such is its debilitation , it becomes an economical
              E. there is so much debilitation that it has become an economical

OA is A

Solution

I believe your question is that why C is wrong. C is wrong (or undiomatic) because of the interrogative tone in "is it".
              Further, the presence of pronoun 'it' after the comma keeps an option direct and concise.

A, the best choice, conserves the right meaning and is idiomatically sound.

Comment

Doubt:

Is the below sentence correct with increase as the verb?

Recent studies suggest that an intake of vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet may actually increase the risk of developing certain illnesses, despite the claims of thousands of people who swear by it as a dietary supplement.

Recent studies suggest that an intake of vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet may actually increase the risk of developing certain illnesses (my answer)

Recent studies suggest that taking vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet actually increases the risk of developing certain illnesses (correct answer)

Certain illnesses may be at a higher risk of development if vitamin E is taken in excess of a balanced diet, according to recent studies

According to recent studies, the intake of vitamin E, if in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet, may actually increase developing certain illnesses

Vitamin E, recent studies suggest, if in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet, may actually increase the development risk of certain illnesses

Solution:

A genuine sub-verb agreement question. You need to identify the subject that the verb increase (or increases) is referring to. The relevant subject is the phrase 'taking vitamin E in excess...' this is a singular subject and hence, 'increases', and not 'increase', agrees with the same. That's why A is incorrect.

Comment

Doubt:

Can u please let me know the answer for this question ?

In the quadrilateral PQRS, side PS is parallel to side QR. Is PQRS a parallelogram?

(1) PS = QR

(2) PQ = RS

Solution

PS||QR is given. The question is whether it's a trapezium or a ||gm

Stmt 1: Sufficient. See the attached picture; assume vertices P,Q,R,S in place of C,B,A,D respectively; if the PS becomes equal to QR, slope of PQ will become equal to that RS and thus, the resultant figure shall be a ||gm

Stmt 2: Insufficient. Here, PQRS may or may not be a ||gm. See an example (of the case when it's not a ||gm) in the attached picture; assume vertices P,Q,R,S in place of C,B,A,D respectively

Hence, the answer is A
                  Doubt:

Can u please let me know the answer for this question ?

In the quadrilateral PQRS, side PS is parallel to side QR. Is PQRS a parallelogram?

(1) PS = QR

(2) PQ = RS

Solution

PS||QR is given. The question is whether it's a trapezium or a ||gm

Stmt 1: Sufficient. See the attached picture; assume vertices P,Q,R,S in place of C,B,A,D respectively; if the PS becomes equal to QR, slope of PQ will become equal to that RS and thus, the resultant figure shall be a ||gm

Stmt 2: Insufficient. Here, PQRS may or may not be a ||gm. See an example (of the case when it's not a ||gm) in the attached picture; assume vertices P,Q,R,S in place of C,B,A,D respectively

Hence, the answer is A

Comment

Could you please help me in understanding the logic behind the below math question. Thanks.

Question # 12, your answer = A

If r and s are both positive integers, is the product of r and s even?

(1) r and s are consecutive integers.

(2) (s - 1) is a prime number greater than 3.

(D) The product of the integers r and s will be even if r or s or both are even. Statement 1: If an integer is odd, the integer it is consecutive with is even, and vice-versa. So if r and s are consecutive integers, then either r or s must be even. Statement 2: If s - 1 is a prime number greater than 3, then s = (a prime number greater than 3) + 1. Since all prime numbers greater than three are odd (2 is the only even prime number), s must be even. Since s is even, the product of r and s must also be even.

Doubt: both r and s can be odd at the same time. From statement 2, s is confirmed as odd, and nothing is stated about r, so how can we assume r to be even, as given in the explanation?

Solution:

Statement 1: Sufficient.Of the two consecutive integers,one is bound to be even and the other,odd. The product of an even and odd number is going to be even.

Statement 2: Sufficient. If S-1 is a prime greater than 3, S-1 has to be odd (as all prime numbers other than 2 are odd). If S-1 is odd, S is even. Hence, the product of S and R (irrespective of whether R is even or odd) is going to be even.

You're missing the point that it's 'S-1' and not 'S' that's odd

Hence, D.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I have some general issues broadly with respect to preparation. I have recently enrolled and requesting to let me know more on Test taking strategy. There seems to be difference between the solving the problems (Quant and Verbal) from the preparation material with that of solving the questions in mock test (Kaplan Test - I know they are a bit tough).

As per my plan, I finish the day by day schedule. However, when it comes to view the improvement. It seems quite far away.

Number of test taken so far: four
                      Score: 400 - 460

Quant: I am usually solving the question confidently and evenly managing the time to devote 75 minutes to all 37 questions.Although, I am only able to score 20-22 questions correctly. The analysis show that I do couple of silly mistakes in DS and PS questions, which should be avoided. In addition, there are some tough PS questions, which I find tough(some really hard problems) to solve from topics such as Probability, Permutation and Combination, Work and Time, Word problem at times etc. I am looking to take forward the accuracy from 20-22 to 32-35.

Verbal: The section that am focusing a lot is rather showing some encouraging improvement, from 10 to 12 to 15 correct answers from 41 in three test. I solve 2-3 RCs every day and SC concepts are something I am finding to associate technically while giving test.However, in first test I was only able to attempt 21 , in second and third 31. Each RC is taking on average 4-6 minutes and sometimes even SC is taking about or more than 2 minutes. Accuracy level is in the following order RC>SC>CR. I am looking to take forward the accuracy from 12-15 to 31-34.

I usually solve the questions of EG material from both the section under 2 minutes (with 90% accuracy). But, when it comes to taking test, I am unable to increase accuracy in Quant and am reasonably satisfied with gradual improvement in Verbal.

I usually study 2-4 hr daily in night after the office and take up the test at the same time on Sunday.Please suggest a better test taking strategy.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                        I am Antriksh and this is my first post on this forum.

I gave the GMATprep Exam 1 yesterday and got the following question wrong. Could anyone help me with the logic behind the answer to this question:
                        Qs. Is |x-y| > |x| - |y|?

1) y<x
                        2) xy<0

My answer: D (arrived by plugging in numbers)

Correct answer: B

Regards,
                        Antriksh

Comment

A Classic Example of RC Doubt:

Dear Mentors, Please help -

Although many lines of evidence indicate that birds
                          evolved from ground-dwelling theropod dinosaurs,
                          some scientists remain unconvinced. They argue that
                          theropods appeared too late to have given rise to
                          birds, noting that Archaeopteryx lithographica—the
                          oldest known bird—appears in the fossil record about
                          150 million years ago, whereas the fossil remains of
                          various nonavian maniraptor theropods—the closest
                          known relatives of birds—date only to about 115
                          million years ago. But investigators have now
                          uncovered bones that evidently belong to nonavian
                          maniraptors dating to the time of Archaeopteryx. In
                          any case, failure to find fossils of a predicted kind does
                          not rule out their existence in an undiscovered deposit.
                          Skeptics also argue that the fused clavicles (the
                          “wishbone”) of birds differ from the unfused clavicles
                          of theropods. This objection was reasonable when only
                          early theropod clavicles had been discovered, but
                          fossilized theropod clavicles that look just like the
                          wishbone of Archaeopteryx have now been unearthed.
                          Finally, some scientists argue that the complex lungs
                          of birds could not have evolved from theropod lungs,
                          an assertion that cannot be supported or falsified at
                          the moment, because no fossil lungs are preserved in
                          the paleontological record.

The primary purpose of the passage is to
                          A. compare the development of two hypotheses
                          concerning the evolutionary origin of birds
                          B. suggest revisions to the standard theory of the
                          evolutionary history of birds
                          C. evaluate the usefulness of fossil evidence in
                          determining the evolutionary history of birds
                          D. challenge the theory that birds evolved from
                          ground-dwelling theropod dinosaurs
                          E. respond to criticisms of the theory that birds
                          evolved from ground-dwelling theropod dinosaurs.

Ans key - E ,
                          Please clarify, where is the criticism?
                          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we are looking for exact word 'criticism', then it's going to be hard for us to answer this question. However, from the passage above, it seems evident that passage is defending the theory that birds actually evolved ​from ground-dwelling theropod dinosaurs.

Criticism is evident at many instances:
                          "some scientists remain unconvinced. They argue that"
                          &
                          "
                          Skeptics also argue that the fused clavicles (the “wishbone”) of birds differ from the unfused clavicles of theropods. ​"​

&
                          "

This objection was reasonable when only early ​"​

​Option E stands out as the best answer. No other answer is even close.

Hope it helps!​

Last edited by Mentor_Experts; 10-10-2014, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Request your help on this problem..

Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of America’s most enduring writers
                            and a key figure in the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920’s, will have published
                            hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos,
                            essays and children’s books.

A. will have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories,
                            autobiographies, librettos, essays and children’s books.

B. is publishing hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories,

C. would have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories,

D. will publish hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories,

E. would publish hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories,

I'm not convinced with ans between C & E.

C says Hughes would have published....

E says Hughes would publish....(hw can that make sense? either he would have

published but for sm reason he didnt (as in C)....or he published - simple

past...which is not an option)

I dont understand the meaning of E??

I understand that C doesnt give what would be the condition upon which the

probable 'would have' will depend on...but atleast we knw that there was some reason
                            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Between choice C and E, there is only difference of "would have" and "would".

A, B, and D are out of race due to obvious reasons, because they use present tense, while a portion of the sentence suggests that it should be in past.

Now, would have is used in case of condition and possibility.
                            Eg.
                            If they had gone outside, they would have become ill.

However, 'would' suggests that action has happened in the past.
                            Eg.
                            a) When we were teens, we would play all day.
                            b) I met a girl in 1998, who would become my wife later wards.
                            c) He told me that he would complete the task.

Now as sentence requires past tense, and as there is no condition mentioned in C, E remains as the best answer.

Comment

Recent research has indicated that married people are not only happier than unmarried people, but also healthier. This study has been widely reported by the media, with most commentators concluding that being married is good for one’s health and attitude.

The conclusion of the media commentators depends on which of the following assumptions?

A. The longer people are married, the happier and healthier they become.

B. Married couples who had a large, extravagant wedding are happier than those who had a small, simple ceremony.

C. Married people cannot get depressed.

D. Single people with depression or health problems are just as likely to get married as are other single people.

E. Some marriages are more harmonious than others.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Solution:

This is an assumption question, and the argument is:

Married people are 1) happier 2) healthier
                              than unmarried people.

Hence marriages are good for health and attitude.

Now an underlying assumption is that good health and attitude do not cause one to get married. Because if that were the case then conclusion will not remain valid.

Looking at the options now:

A) This might be true but is certainly not an assumption. This basically tells that if conclusion will true, whatever is stated will also be true.
                              B) The size and expense of wedding is not relevant.
                              C) This fact is not required for the conclusion to be true.
                              D) This states exactly what we are looking for. This statement suggests that, it is not the case that healthier and happier people are more likely to get married. This suggests that the state of being happy and healthy is the result of marriage and not a pre-state.

You might also want to use the negation technique here.

The opposite of given statement will be: Single people with depression or health problems are NOT as likely to get married as are other single people.
                              It means that most people who get married are already happy and healthy. The conclusion will fall apart. Hence D is a required assumption.

E) The comparison of different marriages is not relevant to the discussion and does not help in reaching conclusion.

Comment

Chandni and Divakar can do a piece of work in 9 days and 12 days respectively. If they work for a day alternatively, Chandni beginning, in how many days, the work will be completed?
                                (a)10 ¼
                                (b)9 1/5
                                (c)11.11
                                (d)10

A common approach to solve this kind of questions can be:

First of all determine the total work:

In cases like these, take the LCM of days (9 and 12 in this case)
                                LCM=36
                                Now assume that work is 36 units.

If Chandni takes 9 days to finish the work, then work done every day: 36/9 =4 unit/day
                                If Divakar takes 12 days to finish the work, then work done every day: 36/12 =3 unit/day

Now Chandni and Divakar work alternatively:

It means 1st day Chandni will do 4 units.
                                Then next day Divakar will do 3 units.
                                So it means in 2 days total work done = 7 units.
                                Total work =36 units.

Now 2 days =7 units
                                4 days = 14 units
                                6 days= 21 units
                                8 days= 28 units
                                10 days = 35 units.

So in 10 days 35 units of work will be done. Work left = 36 units -35 units
                                = 1 unit

Chandni will be doing this work, as this will be her turn according to alternate days.

Chandni does 4 units of work per day. For 1 unit of work she will take ¼ day.

Total days= 10 days + ¼ day

Correct answer is A.

Fatima and Zahira can do a piece of work in 12 days and 15 days respectively. If they work for alternate day and Fatima starts the work first, then in how many days the work will be done?

a)12 1/5
                                b)13 ¼
                                c)13 1/5
                                d)15

Same method:

LCM of 12 and 15 = 60
                                Total work = 60 units
                                F takes 12 days => F does 60/12 = 5 units per day
                                Z takes 15 days => Z does 60/15 = 4 units per day

In 2 days F and Z will do = 5+4= 9 units.
                                In 12 days = 54 units
                                Rest work = 60-54
                                = 6 units
                                In one day F will do 5 units. Total days = 12+1= 13 days. Total work = 54+5=59 units
                                Rest one unit will be done by Z. Z does 4 units a day. Hence will take ¼ day to finish 1 unit.
                                Total time= 13days + ¼ days
                                B is the correct answer.

In the previous question (number 33) if Zahira starts first then in how many days, the work will be completed?
                                a)14 1/5
                                b)14
                                c)13 1/5
                                d)13 2/5

In this case the only change will occur in last 6 units of work.
                                So what we have as above is:
                                12 days and 54 units of work.
                                Now Z will be working the 13th day and will do 4 units
                                Now 13 days 58 units of work.
                                Now for 2 units, F will be working and will take 2/5 days
                                Total time, 13+2/5 days
                                D is the correct answer.

A cistern has a leak which would empty it in 6 hours. A tap is turned on which fills the cistern @ 10 liters per hour and then it is emptied in 15 hours. What is the capacity of the cistern?
                                a) 100 liters
                                b) 166.66 liters
                                c) 60.66 liters
                                d) None of these
                                Let’s assume that the leak empties v liters per hour.
                                So if leak empties in 6 hours, then the capacity of cistern = 6v liters

If another tap adds 10 liters per hour, then it takes 15 hours.
                                Now 6 v was already there. New tap will add 15*10 liters.
                                And now leak empties it in 15 hours. So our new equation is:

6v + 15 x 10 = 15 v
                                Or 150 = 9 v
                                Or v = 50/3
                                So capacity= 6 v = 6 *50/3
                                = 100 liters.
                                The correct answer is A.

Amit travels 30 minutes at the speed of 25 km/hr. Further he travels 20 minutes at the speed of 40 km/hr. Find his average speed.
                                a)25 km/h
                                b)30 km/h
                                c)31 km/h
                                d)None of these

We will discuss a more straight forward way of solving such questions:
                                Total travel= 30 minutes with 25 km/hr and 20 minutes with 40 km/hr.
                                = ½ hour with 25 km/hr and 1/3 hour with 40 km/hr

Average speed = Total distance/ Total time

Total distance= ½ * 25 + 1/3 * 40
                                =25/2 + 40/3
                                =155/6 km

Total time = ½ hour+ 1/3 hour =5/6 hour

Average speed = (155/6) / (5/6)
                                = 31 km/hour
                                C is the correct answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Covered by...