Update 1: You can practice the whiteboard here- https://www.expertsglobal.com/whiteboard-on-gmat/
Update 2: Our tests and exercises have been updated with whiteboard- https://expertsglobal.com/gmat-preparation-online
Update 3: You can practice the whiteboard here- https://www.expertsglobal.com/whiteboard-on-gmat/
In the wake of the pandemic and the consequent disruptions to daily life wrought by the COVID-19, the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) is trying to ensure the safety and health of the GMAT test-takers as well as the GMAT test-center staff and is presently not conducting GMAT in the test-centers. However, to ensure that the students aiming for a B-school education are able to meet their career plans, GMAC has launched an online and remote proctored GMAT test program. Students can make appointment for the online GMAT test between 20th April, 2020 and 15th June, 2020. While the basics of the GMAT test such as the number and types of questions, difficulty level and scoring pattern remain the same, several features of the test such as Unofficial GMAT Score Report and flexible test-taking pattern may be unavailable in the online GMAT format.
- The online GMAT test structure does not include the Analytical Writing Assessment section.
- The test-taking order for the online GMAT exam is fixed and is as follows: Quantitative Reasoning, Verbal Reasoning, and Integrated Reasoning.
- The online GMAT exam is of 3 hours’ duration.
- You will be able to take appointment for online GMAT between 20th April, 2020 and 15th June, 2020.
- Online GMAT appointment options are available 24/7 and you can schedule an online GMAT up to 24 hours before the exam.
- Scores are not immediately released; you will directly get the official score- in ~1 week.
- The registration fee for the online GMAT exam in USD 200 and you can select up to 5 programs to send your scores to.
- The charge for rescheduling online GMAT exam is USD 25 and for cancelling an online GMAT appointment is USD 100.
- You cannot cancel a score obtained in the online GMAT format and you can take the online GMAT exam only once.
- This attempt does not count to your annual (5 times) and lifetime limits of attempts (8 times).
- The online GMAT exam may be availed of by students from all locations but Cuba, Iran, Mainland China, North Korea, Sudan, and Slovenia.
- You can seek disability accommodations while registering for online GMAT.
As the world battles the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic, almost all institutes and organizations have leveraged the technological platform and shifted to the digital medium to conduct their routine tasks. GMAC has also joined in defining the social distancing norms by launching the online GMAT exam. The GMAT test-taking council understands the uncertainty of the times and, hence, to help the thousands of GMAT examinees keep to their career planning, has developed an online GMAT test. Launched only in 14th April, 2020, this remotely proctored online GMAT test will be available to the students from 20th of April, 2020 till the 15th of June, 2020, after which, GMAC will review the need to continue with the online test-taking format.
If you are planning to take the GMAT and wish to know your current level, you can take a free GMAT practice test now.
The Structure of the Online GMAT Exam
The online administered GMAT exam retains the in-person GMAT test structure in terms of types and number of questions and the time allowed for each section. Thus, you will be required to answer 31 Quantitative Reasoning questions within 61 minutes, 36 Verbal Reasoning questions within 65 minutes, and 12 Integrated Reasoning questions within 30 minutes. The only difference is that the online GMAT exam does not include the Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA) section.
|Test Section||Number of Questions||Type of Questions||Time||Scoring|
|Quantitative Reasoning||31||Data Sufficiency, Problem Solving||62 minutes||6 to 51 (in 1 point increment)|
|Verbal Reasoning||36||Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, Sentence Correction||65 minutes||6 to 51 (in 1 point increment)|
|Integrated Reasoning (IR)||12||Graphic Interpretation, Table Analysis, Multi-source Reasoning, Two-part Analysis||30 minutes||1 to 8 (in 1 point increment)|
However, the online GMAT pattern does not allow you the flexibility of choosing the test-taking order. Hence, you will be answering the questions in a fixed format, which is as follows:
- Quantitative Reasoning
- Verbal Reasoning
- Integrated Reasoning
Test-taking Rules to be Followed
You must select a private and quiet area to take your GMAT online exam. Throughout the exam, you will be monitored through your webcam and microphone by your Proctor. You must not leave the test-taking room or be absent from the Proctor’s view. If you have any queries, you can connect with the Proctor by using the Chat icon that you will find at the top of your screen. Besides, you must ensure the following:
- You are using the mobile number that you have provided to your Proctor. During the exam, the Proctor may contact you at the provided mobile number only if faced with technical difficulties. While you are to keep the mobile phone away from your test-taking area, you can only access the same if the Proctor requires you to do so.
- You must provide valid, non-expired photo ID. However, you will be exempted if your photo ID has expired any time between January, 2020 and the date of the online GMAT exam. Valid photo IDs include passport, driver’s license, national or local identification card, registration cards such as green card, visa, permanent residence, etc. For international students, passport is generally the only accepted photo ID.
- You need to take live headshot photo and snap pictures of your surroundings.
- You must remove any notes, pictures, and additional devices from your test-taking area. You will be only allowed to keep your ID and prescription sunglasses and comfort items only if previously accommodated.
- You can only leave the test-taking area during the optional 5-minute break, during which period you will be allowed to have only food and water and comfort items if previously accommodated. If you are late in re-joining the exam after the break, the time will be adjusted from the section of the test.
- You are strictly prohibited from making audio and/or video recording of the test.
Scoring in the Online GMAT Exam
The GMAT online exam follows the same exam pattern as the in-person GMAT tests and, hence, the scoring algorithm on the online GMAT exam uses the same score scale as the in-person GMAT tests. Your Official GMAT Score Report will include the Sectional Scores, Total Scores, and percentiles and will be delivered to you, via your registered email ID, within seven business days from the date of taking the exam. Your online GMAT exam score will remain valid for upto 5 years. However, you will not be able to preview your Unofficial Score Report.
Sending the GMAT Scores
The online GMAT exam format allows you two opportunities to select the programs to send your GMAT scores to. Thus, you can select the programs either while scheduling the online exam or after receiving your Official GMAT Score. If you select the programs while registering for the exam, you will be able to modify your sections for up to 24 hours before the appointed exam slot. Further, neither you will be allowed to cancel your scores nor you will be able to preview your Unofficial Score Report. Hence, while it is recommended that you shortlist the programs once you have received the Official GMAT Score Report, you will need to be extremely careful if you select the programs while registering for the online GMAT exam.
Duration of the Online GMAT Exam
The online GMAT exam is of 3 hours duration. You will have a total time of 2 hours and 45 minutes to answer the exam and 15 minutes to complete the check in process to start the exam. Additionally, you will be able to take only one, optional 5 minutes break only after you complete the Verbal Reasoning section.
Scheduling the Online GMAT Exam
The online GMAT exam will be available to the GMAT enthusiasts from the 20th of April, 2020. You will need to pay a registration fee of USD 200, which includes the cost of sending your GMAT score to five programs.
To register for the online GMAT exam, you need to first log in to your mba.com account or create an account, if you do not have one. Next, navigate to Register and select GMAT online exam. Select your preferred date and time to schedule your online GMAT exam. If you want to avail of disability accommodations, you will have to register as a test-taker with disabilities. In that scenario, you should not schedule your GMAT online exam appointment prior to receiving the accommodation.
GMAC will allow you to schedule appointments for the online GMAT exam 24/7 and you can register for the exam up to 24 hours before an available appointment window.
Taking the GMAT Online Exam
Follow these steps to take the GMAT online exam:
- Open pearsonvue.com and navigate to your testing program page, that is GMAT Online exam.
- Log in to your account and navigate to your test.
- Select Begin Exam.
- From the prompts, select Download OnVue software.
- Double-clicking on the same will Run the software. This will set in your Check-In process.
- You will receive prompts to take your Headshot, submit the same. You will be also asked to show your ID.
- Next, take photos of your test-taking area and its surroundings and follow the prompts to send the same.
- Provide your digital acknowledgement of the Test-Taker Rules and Agreement. This step will complete your Check-In process.
- Your exam will begin now.
System Requirements for Online GMAT Exam
While you can take the online GMAT exam on both Windows or Mac computers and laptops, you must check to see if your device meets the GMAC specified system requirements. The necessary technical specifications are highlighted in the following table.
|Operating System||Windows 10, Windows 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit), Mac OS 10.13 and above (not the beta versions). Windows operating system must be genuinely validated. Windows Vista, XP, and 7 and all Linux/Unix based operating systems are prohibited.|
|Firewall||No corporate firewall, including VPN.|
|Display||Minimum resolution should be 1024 x 768 in 16-bit
color. You cannot use additional monitors.
|Internet Browser||Use only the newest versions of Microsoft Edge, Safari, Chrome, and Firefox for web registrations or downloading the secure browser or Internet Explorer 11.|
|Internet Connection||A consistent up/down speed of 1Mbps, preferably tested on a wired network. Do not use mobile hotspots.|
|Webcam||You may use either internal or external (connected to the computer) webcam. It must have a minimum resolution of 640 *480 @ 10 fps. If you are using a Mac device, you may need to allow OnVUE within the ‘System Preferences: Security & Privacy: Privacy’ settings for Microphone, Camera, Automation and Input Monitoring.|
|Sound and Microphone||Verify that the audio and microphone options are not set to mute settings. If you are using a Mac device, you may need to allow OnVUE within the ‘System Preferences: Security & Privacy: Privacy’ settings for Microphone, Camera, Automation and Input Monitoring.|
|Browser Settings||Ensure that the internet cookies are enabled and all pop-up blocking settings are disabled.|
|Computer||As work computers may block the OnVue software, you should use personal computers.|
|Power||Connect your device to a power source before starting the exam to prevent any undue incident of power outage while taking the exam.|
Re-scheduling, Canceling, and Retaking the Online GMAT Exam
You can re-schedule your online GMAT exam upto 24 hours before your scheduled appointment. You will need to pay a fee of USD 25 to re-schedule your online GMAT exam. If you want, you can also cancel your GMAT online exam upto 24 hours before your scheduled appointment hour and against a payment of USD 100. However, you cannot re-schedule or cancel your GMAT online exam appointment within 24 hours of the scheduled hour.
Further, you can take the GMAT online exam only once. You will be neither allowed to retake the exam nor cancel the score. Only in the scenario of proven technical mishaps will you be allowed to cancel your GMAT online test score.
You can use VISA, Mastercard, American Express, and JCB credit or debit cards to pay the registering, or re-scheduling, or canceling charges for your online GMAT exam. However, if your card is declined, your appointment will stand cancelled and you will need to schedule another appointment with a valid payment. Further, online GMAT test-takers in India will need to contact their respective banks for assistance if their banks do not allow debit cards for payment unless the merchant participates in the Verified by Visa or MasterCard Secure Code as GMAC does not participate in this program. Your bank may allow you the option of a special one-time use card or remove the PIN restriction for the card to be used for payment on the GMAC site; however, you will have to verify the same with your respective bank.
Customer Support for GMAT Online Exam
For any queries regarding the online GMAT exam, you can contact the official GMAT customer service at the following addresses:
Tel: +1 (866) 739-0238
+1 (703) 668-9604
Fax: +1 (703) 668-9601
Besides, you can also contact the GMAT support system of your area at the following numbers:
|Americas||GMATCandidateServicesAmericas@pearson.com||+1 (952) 6813680;
(Toll-free): +1 (800) 717, GMAT (4628)
|+1 (952) 681 3681|
India: +91 120-439-7830
|Chinaemail@example.com||+86-10-82345675||+86 10 61957800|
|Europe, Middle East, Africa (EMEA)||GMATCandidateServicesEMEA@pearson.com||+44(0) 161 855 7219||+44 (0) 161 855 7301|
Please find below the best time to contact the GMAT customer services:
|Region||Time: Contacting by Email||Time: Contacting by Phone|
|Americas||Email services are available from Monday to Friday, 7 A.M. to 7 P.M. CT. Emails sent beyond these hours will be responded to on the following business day.||Telephone services are also available from Monday to Friday, 7A.M. to 7 P.M., CT|
|Asia Pacific||Email services are available from Monday to Friday, 7 A.M. to 7 P.M. AEST. Emails sent beyond these hours will be responded to in 48 hours.||Telephone services are available from Monday to Friday, 9A.M. to 6 P.M., AEST; India: 9A.M. to 6 P.M., IST|
|China||Email services are available from Monday to Friday, 8:30 A.M. to 5 P.M., China Standard Time. Emails sent beyond these hours will be responded to in 48 hours.||Telephone services are also available from Monday to Friday, 8.30 A.M. to 5 P.M., China Standard Time|
|Europe, Middle East, Africa (EMEA)||Email services are available from Monday to Friday, 9A.M. to 5 P.M., GMT. Emails sent beyond these hours will be responded to in 3 business days.||Telephone services are also available from Monday to Friday, 9A.M. to 5 P.M., GMT|
GMAC follows certain rules when determining the eligibility of an aspirant to the online GMAT exam:
- Every online GMAT test-taker should be above 18 years of age. GMAC does not define any upper age limit to define eligibility for online GMAT test registration. If your age varies between 13 and 17 years, you may follow the handbook for GMAT online exam.
- If you have not taken the GMAT more than 5 times in a year and more than 8 times in total, you can take the GMAT online exam.
- You can take the GMAT online exam only once.
- If you desire to re-take your GMAT despite scoring the perfect 800, you will have to apply after 5 years have elapsed from the date of your last GMAT exam.
- To be eligible to take the GMAT online exam, Pearson VUE GMAT test centres must be closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Mba.com provides a list of closed Pearson VUE GMAT test centres.
- If you are a resident of a country where the Pearson VUE GMAT test centres are operational, you cannot opt for the online GMAT test. Please follow the locational regulations as updated by mba.com.
- You cannot take the online GMAT exam if you are located in Cuba, Iran, Mainland China, North Korea, Sudan, and Slovenia owing to regulatory restrictions.
Pursuing an MBA to achieve the necessary skill-set form a crucial part of most professionals’ career planning. While the pandemic continues to upset our routine life and planning, keeping us in the throes of uncertainty, due optimization of technological tools will ensure that our career plans are not affected. In accordance, GMAC has developed the online GMAT test-taking format. While the GMAC is still working on ascertaining a smooth GMAT online test-taking experience for the students and confirming the logistics of according disability accommodations, the MBA enthusiasts can relax in the comforting knowledge that they will be able to duly complete their desired training and meet their targeted post-MBA career goals. At the same time, you can refer expert MBA admission consultants to understand your best fit to MBA programs, your scope and opportunities.
- Official page for GMAT online information: https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat-online/gmat-online-experience
- To register for the test: https://www.mba.com/
- Short YouTube video by Pearson, explaining the GMAT online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm1PqdbwBP0
- To prepare for GMAT with a GMAT prep online program
- Practice with 15 full-length GMAT practice tests