Jack wishes that he was an athlete. : IncorrectJack wishes that he were an athlete. : Correct
A subjunctive mood construction - (wish + plural form of verb)
Two correct usages of "native":
"native to""a native of" (used only for humans)
The 3 key subjunctive mood constructions:
1. If + plural form of verb.If I were the Prime Minister, politics would be cleaner.
2. Subject + bossy verb + that + base form of verb.The judge ordered that the cop take the accused away.
3. Subject + bossy verb + that + something be done.The judge ordered that the accused be taken away by the cop.
"Do so" is the correct usage when "so" refers to an action."Do it" is the correct usage when "it" refers to a noun.
As "do" generally refers to actions, "do so" is more often correct than "do it".
Be cautious when you see extreme tonality on a CR question or answer choices.Example: must, most, highest, lowest, worst, best etc
- Often, the key to elimination/selection of an answer choice lies in such extreme terms.
Approach for solving SCs:
1. Read the mother sentence.2. For underlined part, move to answer choices.3. Compare vertically to observe the difference in the choices.4. Eliminate 4 choices through vertical comparison while reading horizontally.5. Read the sentence end-to-end before marking an answer choice.
Simple Interest = (P x r x T) / 100
P: Principle invested.r: Rate of simple interest.T: Time.
“And” is the only conjunction that can join two singular nouns and make them plural.
Jack and Joe are studying. - CorrectJack along with Joe is studying. - Correct
A favorite GMAT CR fallacy.
Example: Every time I dream, I sleep.
Don't leave mocks for the end- it's a common mistake.Take a mock every week.
Do not chase "tricks/tips/shortcuts". Chase "concepts"!
Do not chase "scores"; chase "learning". Scores will follow.
Sum of a diminishing infinite series:
S = a / (1 - r)a: the first term in the progressionr: the common ratio