While applying to business schools, one needs write few application essays for each school. These essays, undoubtedly, form the most important part of one’s application package. While a strong set of essays can make an average profile look impressive, a weak set can mar the impression of the applicant and badly affect one’s chance of converting an application into an interview call or final admit.
We are very often asked that what approach one should have in mind while writing the application essays. If you can do the following, a good essay will automatically come up.
Tips for writing application essays
- A clear and honest link among- your past, future plans, and MBA.
- Brainstorm over achievements in your life and use them in your essays where they make sense.
- We often limit achievements to merely academics, profession, and sports. Anything interesting that brought a drastic change in your life is an achievement. For example, overcoming dyslexia, recovering after a major accident, saving a person’s life etc- are all great achievements!
- Do not hide loopholes in your profile but address them judiciously in a relevant part in the essay. Almost all schools have an optional essay as ‘Anything else that you want us to know about you’. People considered Mayank’s (our founder’s) leaving Army as a loop hole in his profile and many experts recommended that he should not talk about Army at all. But he wrote about the moral dilemma he underwent and how he chose the correct yet difficult path. Eventually, he got admits from every school that he applied to.
- Even if you do not have many achievements in past, you can win the adcom’s (admission committee’s) confidence by clarity of thoughts, personal qualities, and an incisive vision.
- Especially focus on and provide relevant examples for the following qualities: Leadership, handling a team, training & development, entrepreneurship, social service, philanthropy, multi-tasking, diversity, ability to face adversity, discipline, passion, dedication, time management, fast-learning, adaptability, humility, and team spirit.
- Please make sure to give personal touch to your essays. People often make their essays very formal and hence, are unable to relate with the reader of the essays. Share your aspirations, qualities, passions….this is the right place & time….the more you let the adcom relate with you, better are your chances. Mayank’s essays were so personal to him that only 3-4 individuals, till date, have read them.
- Respect word limit. Shorter is acceptable, longer is NOT.
- If you have to submit a word document, keep 1.5-2 line margins and put borders (Unless a different format is specified in the application) to give a clean and tidy look to your essays.
- Avoid use of heavy vocabulary if it is not natural to you.
- Try to have smaller paragraphs to convey the message more clearly. Have a new paragraph for every new type of information.
- Make one or two very sensible people, who know you well, read your essays and give you feedback. Incorporate their suggestions and proof-read at least four times to avoid any mistake. Avoid too many suggestions.
- Application essays provide a lot of opportunity to sham and fabricate success stories. We request you to be honest- not only because there is a chance of being caught but also (mainly) because we believe that to succeed in the long run, one need to be honest. This is our personal opinion and it may be wrong.
Frequently asked application essay questions
- Why do you wish to pursue an MBA, why from this university, and why at this point in your career?
- What is your career vision and why is it important to you?
- How will you like to be remembered?
- One instance that changed your life.
- What value will you add to the MBA class of our university?
- If you could meet one person from past, who s/he would be and why?
- Which global problem concerns you the most and why?
- One trait that stands apart from others.
- How will your current supervisor introduce you to a new supervisor?
- Describe one moral dilemma that you faced and how you handled it.
- Greatest achievement of your life.
- How do you see your career progressing after this MBA?
How do the enrolled students benefit:
A set of 30 questions is given to the students for pouring their heart out. Based on their response, we get to know their background, traits, aspirations, achievements, and shortcomings in the profile. Accordingly, we recommend a story and theme that one must present to the adcom for having best chances for admission and scholarship.