Hong Kong Student Visa Rules

Hong Kong makes for an exciting destination for international students who wish to further their education. Hong Kong’s institutions enjoy a great reputation and many of them are ranked highly in the World University Rankings, some even ranking higher than European and North American institutions.

The Immigration Department of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) requests that any person who does not have the right of abode or right to land but wishes to come to Hong Kong for education must obtain a student visa or an entry permit (the latter applies to students who are mainland Chinese) for study issued by the Immigration Department before entering Hong Kong.

To apply for entry for study, the applicant should nominate a local sponsor who can be the educational institution granting the acceptance for admission or an individual.

Requirements for Obtaining the Student Visa

  1. A photocopy of the letter of admission from an education institution in Hong Kong, as well as the letter accepting their admission
  2. Evidence of financial standing (bank statements, passbooks, proof of scholarship funds, etc.). If someone is sponsoring the student financially, that person must submit a declaration stating their relationship with the student, their intention to support the student’s study and living expenses and their financial standing
  1. Evidence of accommodation arrangement in Hong Kong e.g. an undertaking that the sponsor is prepared to provide accommodation to the applicant
  2. Photocopy of Highest Public Examination/Academic Result
  3. Photocopy of other qualifications e.g. IELTS or TOEFL (if applicable)
  4. Photocopy of Identity Card or equivalent (if applicable)
  5. Photocopy of Passport (if applicable)
  6. 4 recent passport photographs (Photograph should not be larger than 55mm x 45mm and not smaller than 50mm x 40mm)
  7. Properly filled Application For Entry for Study in Hong Kong (ID 995A)
  8. Properly filled Application for Student Visa Sponsorship and Declaration
  9. Photocopy of telegraphic transfer advice/receipt.

The visa is valid for the normal duration of the student’s study program, up to a maximum period of six years upon entry, or the expiration date of the travel document held, whichever is shorter. The visa can be extended on a yearly basis or in accordance with the duration of their studies. The cost of extension is HK$190.

Rules for working in Hong Kong along with Student Visa
Only students whose study period is not less than one academic year may accept an internship, subject to the following conditions:

  • The internship must be curriculum-related and be arranged or endorsed by the institutions where the student is studying
  • The duration of the internship is up to one academic year, or one-third of the normal duration of the relevant full-time academic program, whichever is shorter

There is no restriction on the nature of work, level of salary, location, number of working hours and employers. Eligible students will receive a “No Objection Letter” upon approval of entry and extension of stay applications. This letter will spell out the types and conditions of employment for which a student may be eligible.

Covered by…