For those considering gaining a global perspective in financial management and economics, an MBA specialization in Accounting would surely help. The specialization enables students to strategically approach accounting studies with an integration of management education. Industry focused, MBA Accounting Specialization is meant for students who are interested in accounting information systems and management accounting as well as leadership and ethics. With its rigorous curriculum, it equips students for top-level jobs in financial institutions, firms and corporations. It nurtures students to grow as dynamic leaders in the areas of finance and business.
Some of the advantages of an MBA specialization in Accounting include:
◦ Ability to take the CPA exam or other such credentials depending on individual requirements of the board
◦ Improved career opportunities at top managerial levels with encouraging salaries and perks
◦ Most importantly, accounting and business skills, that stand the student in good stead
Skills needed to excel in the field
The following skills play a pivotal role in optimizing learning from the program and thereafter excelling in the professional domain:
1. Application of quantitative reasoning as well as analysis to accounting and business problems
2. Adapting to various situations to solve emergent problems related to the arena of accounting
3. Developing plans to improvise business solutions
4. Critical thinking skills and business acumen.
5. Willing to make new discoveries and arrive at ‘out-of-the’ box solutions related to the arena of accounting.
6. Effective communication skills in real-time business situations
7. Recognition and qualitative management of potential ethical and legal conflicts that might arise.
The curriculum is designed to provide theoretical knowledge as well as help the students to develop practical strategies to nurture a dynamic career with in-depth knowledge and expertise.
• Accounting Information Systems: The students are taught how to develop accounting skills along with the understanding the implementation of the controls that are necessary for the assurance of reliability and accuracy. Financial planning and analysis remain the pivotal aspect of this module. Students are also taught about fixed income credit analysis along with credit ratings.
• Accounting for Managers: In this segment, students focus on the allocation of resources, budget process as well as utilizing the internal and the external data for maneuvering control over the performance analysis. It trains the students to attain corporate objectives in a well defined and organized manner from day one.
• Public and Not-For-Profit accounting: The students are taught the theories and concepts related with the authoritative guidance, rules and regulations that play a significant role in governing the public and not-for-profit institutions.
• Accounting for Acquisitions: It deals with the areas of acquisitions, restructuring and other related matters.
• Leadership and Ethics for Managers: Through an explicit and extensive study module, this course allows the students to develop the understanding of interactions between followers and leaders. The arenas of ethical challenges faced in leadership are also taught with practical and real life examples.
Some of the other upcoming modules include:
• A winning and well-conceived investor-related strategy
• Accounting and valuation for e-commerce companies
Thus, in addition to gaining immense knowledge, both conceptual and practical in the fields of accounting system, the students are also able to understand the various sub-fields such as cost accounting, advanced economics, business law and audit as well as private and public accounting
In short, all these course modules present in the curriculum are necessary for having an industry-specific and advanced knowledge base for accounting professionals.
Potential career options on Graduation
After MBA specialization in Accounting, the students are able to apply to world’s top companies, corporate recruiters and business leaders. Personal career coaching is given at leading institutes by an experienced team of professionals who are noted career counselors as well as relationship managers. The alumni mentors in this field also offer practical advice.
Graduates with specialization in accounting can look at a number of career options including but not limited to:
◦ Qualifying as a Certified Public Accountant
◦ Working as Budget Analysts
◦ Adding value as Technical Accounting Managers or heading Accounting Operations.
With Finance as a domain slated to grow with an increase in financial products, the need for qualified professionals in the area is only slated to increase. This makes the case of a thriving career for students with MBA specialization in Accounting.